Thursday, May 7, 2015

My YouTube Playlist About The Great Gatsby

As a resource for my students while reading The Great Gatsby, I have created my own YouTube Playlist, available here.  As I review additional videos that I believe are helpful to students, I will update the list.  For now, the list includes:

  • The infamous crash course video by vlogbrother's John Green.  As always, he provides a fast-paced cheeky review of the novel.  It amazes me how he quickly and effortlessly he pinpoints the flaws of the characters and relates them to the high schoolers watching the review.  And because it's John Green, they accept it! 
  • A short clip by the Wall Street Journal of BBC footage.  This is a nice short introduction to how Fitzgerald incorporated elements of the Jazz Age.  The images from the time period are provocative, as would be expected.  
  • Video SparkNotes summary of The Great Gatsby.  This is a great tool to help students to review the novel.  It summarizes events in chronological order rather than the order in which the narrator tell them, for a clearer overview.   



No comments:

Post a Comment